Second Chance’s goal is to place our animals in their forever homes and to do this we need to make sure that the dog or cat and the family are well matched. Our survey process is necessary to achieve this goal. There are many variables that go into making these decisions so we review each survey on a case by case basis. Our volunteers will respond to a survey via emails and phone calls as quickly as possible.
Second Chance Animal Shelter would like to introduce you to some of our shelter policies.
- Walk-ins are welcome during our hours of operation.
- We do same day adoptions IF the pet is a good fit for your family and the following criteria is met:
- All members of the household where the dog is going to live must meet the dog.
- We require a meet and greet with any dog(s) living in the household so we can be sure the new dog and existing dogs will interact well together.
- We strongly encourage you to submit an adoption survey prior to your visit to help with the process. During busy adoption hours it may take much longer if the survey has to be filled out and reviewed at that time.
- While most of our available animals are at the facility, some that you see on the website may be in foster care.
- We want all members of the household to come to meet the dog when adopting so that we can be sure you have the perfect fit for your home.
Second Chance Animal Shelter reserves the right to refuse to adopt to anyone for any reason.
Surrendering a pet can be a difficult and heartbreaking decision for owners. Accepting surrendered animals and working to place them in new, loving homes is an important part of our mission.
We do not accept pet surrenders on a walk in basis normally because we have to ensure that we have space to take the pet in. To schedule an appointment to have your pet evaluated for acceptance into our program, please call us at (508) 867-5525, send an email, or write to us at P.O. Box 136, East Brookfield, MA 01515 for assistance. Please make sure to include your name, location, and contact information.
A special note on placing your dog or cat:
We receive many calls/emails from people needing to place their cat(s) and our space is very limited. We recommend taking the following steps: If your cat was adopted from Second Chance, we do have a return policy. Please contact the shelter at (508) 867-5525. If your cat was adopted from another shelter, call that shelter and inquire about their return policy. Please do NOT post your pet on craiglist or similar site for free. There are many people that watch these sites looking for free pets and do not have the best of intentions. While there may be some good pet owners that go to these sites, we hear many more horror stories. If you choose to go this route, please be sure to do your homework to ensure that your pet is going to a great home.