Volunteer for the animals
helping is caring
At Second Chance Animal Services we rely on volunteers to accomplish our mission.
- Clerical: General filing and copying
- Maintenance/Cleaning: Dog Kennels and Cat Cages are cleaned twice a day or more and occasionally need minor repairs.
- Dog Walkers: Volunteers needed to walk the dogs. They LOVE this part and its important to their well-being!
- Animal Socialization: Volunteers to play and socialize with the animals. The cats appreciate this special one on one time!
- Basic Obedience: Volunteers to teach basic commands to the dogs.
- Odd Jobs: Anyone with building skills to assist us with interior improvements.
- Transportation: We can always use more volunteers to help with the transportation of supplies and donations. We also need volunteers who are available in the morning or afternoon to take animals to and from the vets or other facilities.
- Writers: We need volunteers to help with the writing of our bi-annual newsletter.
- Junior Volunteers: Youths 16 and under must be accompanied by a parent. Youths 16-18 years old must volunteer when another volunteer or adult is present.
- Dog’s Day Out & Cat Pawsitive: Help enrich the lives of pets while they are waiting to find their forever home.
Dog’s Day Out
Dog’s Day Out: Registered volunteers* who have completed dog care training at the Adoption Center are invited to take a dog out for field trip through our new Dog’s Day Out program. Everyone needs a day off, shelter dogs included! This program is designed to get them out of the kennel environment and into the real world, providing enrichment and giving them the opportunity to meet more potential adopters. It gives you the chance to get some dog time, even if you don’t have a dog of your own.
Dogs can be picked up Monday through Saturday beginning at 10 AM. You should plan to spend at least two hours on your field trip and return no later than 4 pm on Fridays and 5 pm the rest of the week. (Sorry, no field trips on Sundays.) We’ll set you up with everything you need for your adventure, including a list a dog friendly businesses to visit. Please remember to bring a valid ID with your current address to participate. Call ahead to ensure that we have a dog available to participate OR just drop by. Adoption Center: 508-867-5525.
* You must be a registered volunteer to participate. Get started today by completing the volunteer application.
Thank you for considering volunteering with Second Chance Animal Shelter. We are a non-profit, 501 (c) 3 organization, which operates a no-kill shelter and foster care program for stray, abandoned, neglected, and surrendered dogs, puppies, cats, and kittens. We also operate a high quality low-cost spay/neuter clinic as well as a full service veterinary clinic at our Pet Wellness and Education Center in North Brookfield. Volunteers with a variety of skills are needed to ensure the success of these programs. Your help is GREATLY appreciated. Please take the time to fill out this application and read and sign the agreement. This information will help us find the volunteer work that you would enjoy most and to keep you posted on new projects. After we review your information, the volunteer coordinator will contact you to discuss volunteer opportunities with Second Chance Animal Shelter.
Jr. Volunteers must be accompanied by a parent or guardian while on premises. Jr. Volunteers that are 16 – 18 that are volunteering as part of a school project or requirement can volunteer without a parent or guardian with the approval of the parent/guardian and the school’s permission.
If you would like to volunteer, please fill out the on-line form below.
You can also print, complete and mail or fax our Volunteer Application.
Download Our Volunteer Application/Agreement
Please FAX to (508) 867-5019
Or mail to:
Second Chance Animal Services
111 Young Road, P.O. Box 136
East Brookfield, MA 01515
Mobile Users – Please be sure to hit SEND at the bottom
Let’s Foster a Pet!
Fostering a Pet
Foster homes are a crucial asset for any shelter. If you are interested in fostering a dog or cat for Second Chance, please download and print the following documents to get started:
Want to be a foster? Fill out a foster home application!
or Download Our Foster Application
Please FAX to (508) 867-5019